Saturday, 28 February 2015

Frozen (the movie) 01.03.15

I was laughing my ass off over the Frozen Lesbian Controversy when the movie first came out.  If you've missed this choice bit of reactionary insanity, apparently Frozen is going to cause girls to grow up to be lesbian. Cue the collapse of marriage, society, and life as we know it.

The whole thing tickled me pink. I can happily watch Salma Hayek sashay all over the screen in a corset, and never get even a twinge of lesbianism (though, admittedly, she looks good with a full beard... hmmm). The reactionaries watch a kids' animation, and that's enough to shake their sexual identity? And they think the problem is with us?

After a conversation with a baffled friend, whose response was "But KRISTOFF????", I am starting to think that the problem is far worse. It sounds as if these people think that women will only ever seek male companionship out of need. If they don't need men, they'll choose not be with them. 

I don't know if that's worse coming from a man (how much of a shit are you that women only put up with you as long as they need you?) or a woman (so if you grow up and develop your personal resources, the people you currently "love" will become spurious?).  It just seems all kinds of fucked up.  

5 comments:

Marc MacYoung said...

Oh hell, if you want an equal dose of insanity, listen to why the feminists HATE Frozen.

technogypsy said...

I hear and like the idea it is a fable on the evils of gun control.

Never heard the lesbian one on the right in this country but I did hear the feminist one at the local uni. I do worry about the latent bestiality implied. I don't approve of reindeer lovin'.

Barbara said...

"It sounds as if these people think that women will only ever seek male companionship out of need. If they don't need men, they'll choose not be with them. "

Oh, honey, that attitude is olllllld. Ever hear "A woman need a man like a fish needs a bicycle."?

Yeah. Unpack that one and think about what it says about the author's (a woman, by the way) view of the larger relationship between men and women: A fish not only doesn't need a bicycle, a bicycle would be utterly and completely useless to a fish.

God's Bastard said...

I got the bicycle thing the wrong way round. I thought the idea was that you ought to be with a man because you wanted to, not out of need; that you had to be independent and self-reliant and all that jazz.

Unfortunately, as in all things, I entirely forgot to read the safety warning.

Barbara said...

I think that very few people ever unpack that one all the way. Every time I've ever pointed it out to someone who quotes that meme, the reaction has invariably been

"I'd never thought of it that way."